- Sarah E. Goode was an entrepreneur and inventor.
- She was the first African American woman to receive a United States patent.
- Goode was born in 1850 into slavery.
- She was freed after the American Civil War and proceeded to open a furniture store in Chicago, Illinois.
- She noticed that those who lived in apartments in the city had very little space for beds, so she invented a folding cabinet bed and received patent for it on July 14, 1885.
- When the cabinet bed was folded up it looked like a desk, including spaces for writing instruments and storage.