I will be kicking off the fun facts of Black History Month with a woman that really fascinated me. Her name is Mae Jemison:
- Before Mae Jemison joined the space program, she was already a medical doctor, having first earned her undergraduate degree at Sanford, and later earning her M.D. from Cornell Medical College in 1981.
- At the beginning of her college career, she was somewhat of a standout, because she entered college at age 16.
- A note of trivia about Mae Jemison that most people do not know is the fact that her biggest inspiration for joining the space program was Nichelle Nichols, the black actress who portrayed Ulhura on the Star Trek series.
- After her famous and only space orbit aboard the space shuttle Endeavor in 1992, Jemison retired from NASA – much to their dismay. The space agency was publicly upset about her departure because they spent a lot of money training her, and they invested so much in her because of her status as the first black woman in space.
- After she left NASA, she founded a bio-tech company called BioSentient Corporation.